Sunday, April 1, 2012

Frenchway on Lilac

Cuisine: brunch, local, bakery & cafe
Area: Corydon, Riverheights
Address: 238 Lilac Street
Phone: (204) 421-9002
Tue-Sat 7 am - 6 pm 
Sun 9 am - 5 pm
Price range: $$ out of $$$$$
Overall rating: 3 out of 5



The Frenchway on Academy has been a well known staple now for a number of years. As of late, they've added a new location on Lilac which took over for the Bread and Circus.

When you first walk in, the smell of freshly baked goods and organic coffee hits you dead on and you can't help but wander over to the counter to see what goodies they had available that day. But you soon come to realize that you have to seat yourself before the menu is given to you and considering the huge rush that often occurs for Sunday brunches, you gladly do. 

For my first experience here, I wandered off the menu and ordered the featured "croque mademoiselle" which is a version of the "croque monsieur" with a delicately prepared sunny-side up egg on top (A croque monsieur is a fancy grilled ham and cheese sandwich. It's fancy because the french say so.) The potatoes were deliciously spiced and baked instead of fried, and cubed instead of shredded. I personally prefer shredded hash but, hey, these cubed potatoes were one of the more better tasting, "healthy", ones I've had. I topped off my meal with a warm, not too strong or potent, organic coffee. 

Ben had an omelet, which means that there's not much to say about that. I really feel like an omelet is an omelet, which is an omelet. Meh? It was okay. Ben said the saving grace was the extra bacon he ordered which he felt was really delicious. It was not greasy, but it was crispy.

A thing to note when you do go to the Frenchway: you'll always leave with some form of baked goods. I usually grab some of their french baguettes (I love baguettes... it might be a Vietnamese thing.) Today, I opted for the not-too-available french macaroons and some buttery dinner rolls instead. I'll try those later but by the looks of it... it's going to be delicious.

The only pitfall: an overly-dynamic, take-myself-too-seriously, waiter. The brunch rush hadn't even hit yet and he was freaking out... I mean there were about four tables occupied and he had other waitresses there to help him (who were all friendlier than he was). I'm sure he means well but I guess I just don't like it when people get yelled at because someone is too over-the-top emotional. He yelled at his waitresses because she was trying to help him with his tables. He exasperatedly repeated himself two times because I kept telling him I wanted my cream on the side. Ok, well granted I did mishear him... I thought he was saying "cream or sugar?" so I kept saying "yes please, on the side" but he had said "cream or milk". My bad. I could've popped his artery.. I should be more careful.

Alright, so yes. I do recommend the Frenchway... but for brunch and lunch only. I'm not too sure if dinner would be adequately served in such a small place. Just be prepared to bring some baked goods home. Be good to yourself and give in. It's worth the calories if you count them.

No comments:

Post a Comment